I've been thinking about doing a James Bond MOC for some time. And Blofeld's vulcano from the 1967 "You Only Live Twice" adventure was my first choice. 
Yet I feared that it might get too large, take too long and might turn our less interesting than expected.

So I decided to try it out on a micro scale:

1280x1009.JPG

That has worked out quite well IMHO :sweet:  (I don't think I would have had the bricks for a minigure-scale MOC.)

800x1067.JPG

So here are the things required for the set:

The vulcano base, the four black helicopters, the spaceship (it should have been silver but red looked better amongst all the light and dark grey), the giant world map, the funny cars,  ...

800x566.JPG

Blofeld's private cave rooms.

800x600.JPG

And there is "Little Nellie", of course.

800x600.JPG

... and there is also that cave entrance.

1280x1206.JPG

I am quite happy with the result. :grin:

I hope you like it too.

(Pictures can be found on bricksafe)

Edited by Captain Braunsfeld
Flickr references removed

That is awesome. Great job recreating that at mini scale which can be even more challenging than larger scales. At minifigure scale it might require employment at Lego level of pieces. I really like the mixing of old and new greys as well for the rocks. Excellent build!

On 12/22/2019 at 12:37 PM, marvelBoy123 said:

Very cool recreation of such an iconic location, good job!

On 12/24/2019 at 4:58 PM, Grey Magistrate said:

Whoah, this is great!  The helicopters really add to the scene, too.

I started with the one helicopter in the volcano base and then it seemed to be better to have four of them.

On 12/24/2019 at 9:23 PM, Lego David said:

I think this topic is more suited for the LEGO Licensed subforum.

James Bond is not a TLG license theme.

3 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

They did make the DB5...

But anyway, this is great. Thanks for sharing. I love the crater entrance, Little Nellie, the control room. Such an action-movie icon, and you did a wonderful job making it.

6 hours ago, jimmynick said:

They did make the DB5...

Oh, right. How could I forget that?   

Still, to me it does not feel like a licensed theme. :grin:

Let the moderators decide.

6 hours ago, jimmynick said:

But anyway, this is great. Thanks for sharing. I love the crater entrance, Little Nellie, the control room. Such an action-movie icon, and you did a wonderful job making it.

Thanks for the positive comment.

Did I mention that the MOC is partially lit by some light bricks hidden underneath? 

9 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

But they still hold the James Bond license though... We still got the James Bond Aston Martin.

This is a difficult one.

While there was a one Bond product, it was not a whole line, so the set was a one off. Special Themes often becomes home to builds based on properties that do not have an official home, but this is a MOC based on a Spy action story and Action and Adventure themes would house any future LEGO Spy/Secret Agent theme. 

So it can stay here. Putting it in Licensed would bury it in Super Heroes and Special Themes covers a lot of bases, so it is not an exact fit.

It is a great scale and a brilliant build, the rock technique is excellent. 

Now, maybe turn these skills to a Tracey Island :grin:

5 hours ago, Lego David said:

But they still hold the James Bond license though... We still got the James Bond Aston Martin.

You're right. 

Unfortunately the series seemed to have started and ended with the Aston Martin.

3 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

This is a difficult one.

While there was a one Bond product, it was not a whole line, so the set was a one off. Special Themes often becomes home to builds based on properties that do not have an official home, but this is a MOC based on a Spy action story and Action and Adventure themes would house any future LEGO Spy/Secret Agent theme. 

So it can stay here. Putting it in Licensed would bury it in Super Heroes and Special Themes covers a lot of bases, so it is not an exact fit.

It is a great scale and a brilliant build, the rock technique is excellent. 

Now, maybe turn these skills to a Tracey Island :grin:

Thanks for your comments and your decision.

Tracey Island - let's see. I have a few more Bond sets on my mind :laugh:

8 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Did I mention that the MOC is partially lit by some light bricks hidden underneath? 

Do you have any pictures of this effect? It would be nice to see.

Fantastic! From one of my favourite Bond films too, even though it's sometimes derided.

What scene do you plan on covering next? The inside of a Liparus tanker? Mi6 with a Q-Boat flying out? Can't wait to see!

I'm sure this recreates the scene quite well. I'll be honest, I've never seen the movie. I've only seen the Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig Bond movies and I think one Sean Connery.

Otherwise, on its own merits, it does represent a scene quite well, especially at this scale. It adds a lot of depth vertically, and the helicopters do add a lot to the MOC.

On 12/26/2019 at 5:11 PM, jimmynick said:

Do you have any pictures of this effect? It would be nice to see.

I tried to shoot some, but they did not turn out well.

3 hours ago, ChrisW said:

Fantastic! From one of my favourite Bond films too, even though it's sometimes derided.

What scene do you plan on covering next? The inside of a Liparus tanker? Mi6 with a Q-Boat flying out? Can't wait to see!

YOLT is a classic Bond movie but very flawed in terms of the storytelling... Just like the latest Star Wars flicks :laugh:

Anyway, I still have a crush on the 1960's Bond films, they had some sort of "style".

Next?  Let's see :grin:

4 minutes ago, TheLegoDr said:

I'm sure this recreates the scene quite well. I'll be honest, I've never seen the movie. I've only seen the Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig Bond movies and I think one Sean Connery.

Otherwise, on its own merits, it does represent a scene quite well, especially at this scale. It adds a lot of depth vertically, and the helicopters do add a lot to the MOC.

Thanks.  Once you get to see the movie, you will understand those 4+1 helicopter thingies :grin:

As by 1960s standards, the film is "high paced". They needed that to cover the plot holes..   On the other hand: When do you get to see a villain located in a vulcano base?  (Yes, ok, Austin Powers maybe...)

That is amazing! *oh2* :thumbup:

You've done a great job capturing the base in miniscale and the vehicles are very nice.

Great job! 

On 1/5/2020 at 5:02 PM, sander1992 said:

That is amazing! *oh2* :thumbup:

You've done a great job capturing the base in miniscale and the vehicles are very nice.

Great job! 

Thanks. The vehicles were challenging. (And they might be a bit too big for the rest of the scene... :grin:)