nebraska

MOC: Union Pacific #844 Steam Engine

Still a bit of a work in progress on the engine. More pics coming soon of the entire 16 1/2 feet of Union Pacific heaven...

14832446472_2c2470500c.jpg

Lego Union Pacific 844 by Nebraska's MOC, on Flickr

14644097978_0342456526.jpg

Lego Union Pacific 844 passenger train by Nebraska's MOC, on Flickr

Baggage/Post Office Car - Union Pacific # 5811. 68 studs long. 9 studs wide. This car has no interior. It houses two XL motors, rechargeable battery pack, infrared sensor, and an extra battery pack which will be explained in a later update. A total of four XL motors (two in the tender/two in baggage should pull what I have planned). Stickers are waterside ink jet clear decal paper; sprayed with clear coat high gloss.

14837092010_7f2e2e6614.jpg

Union Pacific Baggage Car # 5811 on Flickr

15023387462_16ce3f19d5.jpg

Union Pacific Baggage Car # 5811 on Flickr

Edited by nebraska

AWESOME design.......though yeah, why is there light shining through that section ?

Anyway, keep up the excellent work and Brick On 'nebraska' ! :grin:

The two lights are "marker lights" (UP has a different term but I don't remember it off hand) and they are under and off to the side of the boiler on the 844 and above the drivers. She has two on both sides. Here is a good vid of them turned on (and also one of my faves especially when they wake the town to let everyone know they are leaving).

I have to ask, do you share your plans?

My son would flip over this if we built one together. I actually have held UP stock for 20 years this year as well, lifelong fan. I am dying for the day where I can go up Sherman Hill on an excursion behind 4014, let alone see 844, 3985 and 4014 in steam together.

Your work is just awesome

Wow, that's a beauty! I can't wait to see more details as well as shots of the cars. Excellent. As for the lights on the running gear, I had always assumed those where there so that the crew could monitor the drivers when running in the dark (so much of running a steam engine is an art rather than a science). I bet that would make a neat video running in the dark too.

No adjectives to express my real feelings about steam engines and this peace of work, great, great, and great :)

@v6TransAM

Thank you. I don't do plans. I have tried but computers (especially CAD programs) and I don't have a good relationship. The only way I build is to start putting bricks together to make it look like what I want.

@LEGO Train 12V - those custom rods do look really nice! I thank Zephyr1934 profusely for putting those together for me.

I'm not a train expert, but I just took my kids to see 814 at a museum the other day...is this basically the same train? I think 814 was converted from steam though.

I'm not a train expert, but I just took my kids to see 814 at a museum the other day...is this basically the same train? I think 814 was converted from steam though.

Yes 814 is a sister to the 844. Many of my measurements that weren't in my books were done in person at the 814. Are you in the CB/Omaha area? You should join our LUG.

Nicely done. Locos built in black are hard to photograph; I'd suggest taking the pictures outside on a cloudy day, when it'll be bright enough to bring out all the details but you won't get glare off the bricks.

I have tried but computers (especially CAD programs) and I don't have a good relationship. The only way I build is to start putting bricks together to make it look like what I want.

Lego Digital Designer is actually reasonably straightforward, and I've found it extremely helpful for prototyping before I decide if I want to buy a gigantic number of parts. I'd encourage trying it if you haven't yet.

Edited by jtlan

I hate photography in general but I'm getting a 3' light tent which should help (I hope). I've tried LDD...I grew bored and would rather feel the brick rather than just look at in on screen. It works for some people - I just can't build that way.

Yes 814 is a sister to the 844. Many of my measurements that weren't in my books were done in person at the 814. Are you in the CB/Omaha area? You should join our LUG.

Yeah I sure am. Pm me the info please!

Yeah I sure am. Pm me the info please!

Sent you a PM with a link to our Facebook page..

Instead of making new posts for each car I'm going to just update the original. Update # 1: UP Baggage Car # 5811.

Please, please, please, make a new post for each one and also a master post for it with them all linked.

Way to awesome to bury them in one post.

How many bricks long is the baggage car? Is it made for standard Lego track curves as well?

I love the detail on the locomotive and how you use the lights to highlight the detail in the locomotive.

Thank you. I don't do plans. I have tried but computers (especially CAD programs) and I don't have a good relationship. The only way I build is to start putting bricks together to make it look like what I want.

Thought it was just me! I can get only so far in LDD, and then I need to start building in real bricks to finish. More fun that way too ;)

Edit: great model, by the way!

Edited by BricksMcgee

Fantastic! I will definitely take heavy inspiration from your 844 when I build mine. You should let someone else make instructions if you don't want to.