Sign in to follow this  
zephyr1934

MOC GMC "Fishbowl" bus

g01.jpg

Hi there, I'm wandering out of my normal train haunts because try as I may, this MOC simply is not a train.

A little over a year ago I rewatched Ferris Bueller's Day Off. What was my big takeaway? Wow, those old CTA "fishbowl" buses were really cool. They were built by GMC and Flexible in the 1960's and 70's and were used by most major cities in the US. I've been a fan of the Corgi diecast models of these buses for some time but never really saw the need to spend that much money on one (I mean you can't take it apart or anything). The movie reminded me how great those buses were, then a little tinkering and viola, I had myself a CTA bus in time for brickworld 2013.

h01.jpg

Later that summer I added Columbus and Cleveland

i10.jpg

Yes there is a heck of a lot of snot going on there, but you can still see through the model...

h20.jpg_thumb.jpg

You can even see through it front to back, but ever so faintly (several layers of snotted trans clear plates, headlight bricks, etc.) though I don't have a photo.

I've already added the dark orange grated cheese that came out this spring to the rear Columbus bus and maybe some day that part will come out in tan so that I can get the AC unit too.

For a few more photos visit the entire gallery.

Hi all,

thanks for the kind words. It was a nightmare getting the spacing right, not only is there a lot of snot, a lot of it is offset by one plate here, a half plate there... ugh! It was a lot of fun digging up photos of the old buses though.

@Ben C

The front bumper was tricky because behind the bumper the outer two studs are occupied with snot until past the front wheels. So the connection has to go up the middle two studs and it actually anchors with two technic axle pins just ahead of the front wheels. The main visible construction is made up of two pairs of theses:

32013.gif 62462.jpg

Between each set of these connectors I used a friction pin both to keep the pin connector from rotating and because it is hollow throughout (the regular pins have a stop in the middle). I ran a 4 long bar (light sabre blade) down the middle to keep the bumper rigid across the two halves. Then topped it off with a pair of half pins on the ends. If that doesn't make sense post back and I'll take a photo of the underside.

Hi,

I love this MOC and would love to add a version to my own modest Lego town. Is there any way you could upload more images of the undercarriage. I can't figure out the spacing in the wheel wells and where the SNOT uppers are anchored. I'm assuming the magic is in the chassis. Thank you very much for your help!