Sign in to follow this  
Skrytsson

MOC: VW Camper in minifig scale + hippie version!

Hi everyone!

I bought a 10220 Volswagen Camper Van some time ago. It's really an iconic car so I decided to try to recreate it in ("approximately") minifig-scale.

I had a really hard time to recreate the rounded colour shift in the front. However I'm pretty happy with the result. Everything's attached, no loose pieces!

9478692603_476a22e1ae_b.jpg

9478690531_b53c4ae90e_z.jpg

After finishing it I thought - why not try to create it in a mini-scale too?

9481481316_89dc813cf5_z.jpg

(Thin technic liftarms in the middle of the construction attachs studs on both directions)

9481480396_a43e041aba_z.jpg

The complete VW Camper family! (Which one is the cutest? :wink: )

9481488656_c2171691e8_z.jpg

9481486880_18b7c09419_z.jpg

And after that... I decided to create a hippie version too! :classic:

9478686257_5e271dbd59_z.jpg

9481477516_58e94ebe5e_z.jpg

9478683569_bcde74e5ff_z.jpg

Flower Power!

Hope you like it! :classic:

AWESOME work 'Skrytsson'.....excellent scaling and neat flower power version too......Brick On Drive On 'Skrytsson' ! :grin:

Very nice model. I've always admired VW campers, since my dad owned one back in the 70s. It's just as recognizable as the big model, and the mini model is adorable. The hippie version is awesome too (And looks more like the one my dad had back then). The flowers are a great addition, but the color scheme looks a tiny bit convoluted. Not your fault, given the fact that doing a coherent design in this scale is a bit unheard of without print/stickers, but it looks a little pieced together. However, I think it fits the hippie aesthetic, if my old man's stories are to be believed.

Overall, I'm impressed.

Hey! Those minifig-sized ones are excellent! I'm partial to the flower power one personally.

Joe

These are great! The minifig one is the cutest, but I can't decide between the classic red/white and the hippie version.

do the doors open or were the hinge plates just for fine detail?

very nice rendition of the model in mini and micro-scale. Also the hippie version is very cool.

Great models, I would love to see the 'free gift' version lego bring out next month with purchases in between the smallest and minifig scale version!

I really like the way you've constructed the 'V' shape at the front.

Well done!

I love how you solved the front end of the camper. Great construction all around! The "hippie" version actually reminds me of the Mystery Machine from Scoobie Doo. It looks a little too random, in my opinion. I get what you were going for, but I think too many flowers kind of spoils it.

I wonder if it would be possible to mount the "Andrea" tile from Andrea's Stage on the side or rear of the hippie combi without spoiling its lines. Many of the old hippie VWs were named and had their names as part of the artwork. (I may or may not have grown up in that culture).

Great job with the minifigure scale version of an iconic van. Would be great to see it in other colour schemes as well. :thumbup:

My favourite is the minifig scale (mainly because I just enjoy that scale all round mostly) but I think you've managed such fantastic detail in it, I particularly like the front end :wub:

The mini scale version is cute and the hippie version is a nice touch but I just can't get past the minifig scale red and white version.

Fantastic builds all 'round and happy building :laugh:

This is awesome! Great work. LOVE the wedge piece under the windshild.

Interior? And can it fit fig(s)?

LEGO is releasing a mini-VW camper van in September. It comes free with a $75 or more order on S@H. Your version looks spot-on in comparison to the look of the mini LEGO version.

post-9792-0-52046200-1375613462_thumb.jpg

Edited by Captain_Rex

My favourite is the minifig one, both standard and hippie version.

The microscale version is also nice. If you could have attached the 1x1 round tile to the front end somehow without sacrificing the 'V' shape, this would be an absolute winner. :classic:

Well done!