Teazza

MOC: SWAT Truck

Hello to everybody, I'd like to show you one of my first MOC. It's a SWAT truck, scaled as the last City trucks (6 stud wide). The roof is openable to insert in the SWAT army men. It can contains up to 4 men (1 driver and 3 soldiers).

Let me know what you think about it...

swat_1.jpg

swat_2.jpg

swat_3.jpg

swat_4.jpg

swat_5.jpg

swat_6.jpg

swat_7.jpg

swat_8.jpg

Bye

Cool Swat Truck Teazza! :thumbup: Quite realistic.. A suggestion if I may.. Raise the ground clearance a little so it can handle rough road or debris when heading towards a mob. :grin: Also add rear step bumper so the team has the same ease entering and exiting the truck as they do now. Keep up the good work! :classic:

Edited by Leg Godt Gud

Great MOC! It is accurate, realistic and detailed. The minifigs used work perfectly, they look just like a SWAT team. :thumbup:

Very well done. :classic:

~buddy~

Edited by buddy

AWESOME SWAT truck 'Teazza' - nice SNOT rear doors......pure black is true SWAT.....great minifigs too you hae created, but you need a few guns from them to a real life SWAT team.

Anyway, again AWESOME work and keep on policing ! :grin:

An awesome truck! Should be frontpaged if you ask me. Who doesn't enjoy a small but mighty MOC every now and then? Quite good job on the SWAT dudes too. Is the "SWAT" lettering on the car a custom sticker?

An awesome truck! Should be frontpaged if you ask me. Who doesn't enjoy a small but mighty MOC every now and then? Quite good job on the SWAT dudes too. Is the "SWAT" lettering on the car a custom sticker?

Many thanks! to see it frontpaged would be great...

the "SWAT" lettering is my custome sticker.

Hi Teazza!

I like your design, especially the front (although it's true it may not be adapted for the function of this vehicle in particular), it makes me think about the A Team GMC driven by Mr T :devil:.

Aggressive, black, efficient: really cool truck :)

Nice job too achieving to fit this much minifigs inside.

I love the way it hugs the ground. It's not very realistic for a truck like this, but it adds to the aggressiveness. Menacing! :)

Cool Swat Truck Teazza! pirate_thumbup.gif Quite realistic.. A suggestion if I may.. Raise the ground clearance a little so it can handle rough road or debris when heading towards a mob. default_laugh2.gif Also add rear step bumper so the team has the same ease entering and exiting the truck as they do now. Keep up the good work! default_classic.gif

I agree. I also think you should keep up your purist methods. (Such as not using a brickforge baton, but using a HP wand.) By the way, your other truck mocs are great!

Edited by erik530195

Excellent MOC Teazza! Every detail of it is exactly what I imagined of the perfect representation of a SWAT Truck in Lego form. Of course the all-black color scheme is spot-on, but I also like the 'lowered' wheels and the compartment door. Your custom SWAT team are equally great too. It's nice to see them fit snugly inside and ready for some action! Really impressive work! :thumbup:

Very cool SWAT van! It's one of the better ones I've seen. I particularly like the back. I like how the door hinges kinda line up with the cheese slopes. The only thing I can think of to improve it is to raise it by one plate, so there is more ground clearance. Other than that, awesome job :thumbup:

Teazza, my opinion of this is a bit ambiguous.

I like the concept and the overall look of the van, certainly considering that you describe it as your first MOC. It's menacing, but still sticks fairly closely to the types of vans LEGO sells as sets and as such will fit very well in a modern LEGO city. The SWAT team looks suitably impressive too. These are not guys to mess with. :thumbup:

I don't like some of the details. I completely agree with the other people who commented that it really should have at least a plate more ground clearance. I've also been wondering what the grilles and vents on the side are for, as well as the 1x4 tile. There are many builders who in an attempt to make a model look more detailed add more-or-less random bits to them. While that can work well on a fictional spaceship, on a model that is supposed to represent a real vehicle (or a vehicle that could be real, anyway) it looks awkward IMO. My suggestion would be to loose the grilles/ vents and use the empty area that you will get behind the rear 'windows' to add 'SWAT' lettering to the side of the vehicle as well. I reckon that will make it look even more realistic.

Cheers,

Ralph

Edited by Ralph_S

I don't like some of the details...

Hi Ralph, I also think that the whole van is too close to the ground, but anyhow it can run well on lego streets and also on dotted plates, and I think that the lower look is giving it some aggressive feeling.

The grids on the sides wants to represent some reinforced windows, don't know if real swat truck have it but, italian special unit van have metallic grids instead of glass windows and I've thought to add this also to my swat van.

All the other details (1x4 tile or 1x2 tile grille) are put in to give more agressive and "muscular" look to the van.

The grille can also represent some air conditioning output, the men inside are heavy dressed and maybe they can get hot.

I think all these details are much better than a flat wall, especially in a small truck like this, and also I prefer to add lego details instead of custome stickers.

I hope to had answer to all your dubts, explaining my opinion.

Many thanks for suggestion and opinion.

Teazza

Hi Ralph, I also think that the whole van is too close to the ground, but anyhow it can run well on lego streets and also on dotted plates, and I think that the lower look is giving it some aggressive feeling.

The grids on the sides wants to represent some reinforced windows, don't know if real swat truck have it but, italian special unit van have metallic grids instead of glass windows and I've thought to add this also to my swat van.

All the other details (1x4 tile or 1x2 tile grille) are put in to give more agressive and "muscular" look to the van.

The grille can also represent some air conditioning output, the men inside are heavy dressed and maybe they can get hot.

I think all these details are much better than a flat wall, especially in a small truck like this, and also I prefer to add lego details instead of custome stickers.

I hope to had answer to all your dubts, explaining my opinion.

Many thanks for suggestion and opinion.

Teazza

Turning a black box on wheels into something interesting certainly presents a challenge. I have my own SWAT van, which I built about a year ago and which is the main reason why this thread caught my attention. I solved the issue of having a large uninterrupted black surface on the side by filling it with SNOT-built SWAT lettering. I didn't want to use a sticker either. However, it's complicated, takes up interior space and requires a marginally longer vehicle.

One more suggestion: if you don't want to get rid of them, at least replace the 1x4 tiles on the sides by 1x6 tiles. If they fill up the space between the wheel arches a bit better, you will still have the added 'beefiness', but the tiles will look less like tacked on random bits.

I understand why you used the 1x4x2 fences. Riot control vans in the Netherlands also have similar protective grids over their side-windows. I still don't like the grill tile or the ladder piece (I wouldn't put an air-conditioning unit on the side of a van), but I'll accept them as artistic license. :classic:

Cheers,

Ralph

...Cheers,

Ralph

I like your Swat van! the SWAT lettering on the side is a very good job!

I'll try your suggestion to put a 1x6 tile instead of the 1x4.

Maybe in the future we'll expose our SWAT vans together...

bye

Teazza

I like it! I might have to build me one for my town! for when those baddies really get out of hand! do you mind if I steal a few ideas from this? I really really like it or I wouldn't ask to use it!