Sign in to follow this  
Conchas

New TECHNIC sets for 2008

Here they are! The new TECHNIC sets for fall 2008, although still without images :-( .

More info at TechnicBRICKs.

Edit by Conchas: info updated and analysed, now at another TechnicBRICKs post.

Edit by Sinner: I'll add the pics of the other 2008 sets to avoid confusion and make this a one-stop technic thread. ;-)

8290-0000-xx-13-1.jpg 8290

8291-0000-xx-13-1.jpg 8291

8292-0000-xx-13-1.jpg 8292

8296-0000-xx-13-1.jpg 8296

These sets are available now. Most of the PF parts from 07 are now available at very reasonable prices too. *wub*

8881-0000-xx-13-1.jpg 8881

8882-0000-xx-13-1.jpg 8882

8883-0000-xx-13-1.jpg 8883

8884-0000-xx-13-1.jpg 8884

8885-0000-xx-13-1.jpg 8885

EDIT by Sinner: Better 8293 photos.

2272386444_2ca481645a_d.jpg

Edited by Hinckley

anyone know how technic sales are doing? from the crane truck 8421 'til now?

Actually, their sales are doing quite fine, you can go to lego.com for the sales reports. Technic lately has been in a hash of backorders, mostly for the larger flagship sets. People actually want these innovative large sets.

Lights? Not really something I like at all, but hey people voted for it on lego.com. The power functions do control the winch and the front suspension.

The SUPER Off-Road tires return! The new actuators look great, but I think Conchas is right... That universal joint is probably going to be a bit weak. ...Not good. Hopefully lego had this in mind in development. ...If those part end up being skimpy, I'll pass on the sets that have them. Here's hoping that they'll be sturdy. ;)

In all, I think these look like some really fun sets. ...Non have the coolness level of the bulldozer, but a decent sets all the same.

What happened to the rubbery tubes that help define contours on most car sets?... 8297 could use a few.

Thanks for the pics!

Wow, I think these all look great. I'll be picking them up for sure. Thanks for the pics!

8294: This set looks great just the same and it includes the newer tracks. *wub* As I suspected, pneumatics is looking deader and deader by the second. I think the linear actuators are a good idea, but as others have said I hope that universal joint is stronger than the existing ones.

8295: Very nice and it looks realistic as well.

8297: This is not what I expected at all. I think the motor just drives the winch, and the pole reverser is used to switch the power from the winch to the light. (Maybe we should have a bet on this! X-D ) I want this for the suspension alone...

Thanks Colonel Sanders! *sweet* I wonder if the poster makes it to production. The bulldozer promised a "Cool PC Game" on early box shots...

technic001.jpg_thumb.jpg

...but it didn't come with mine. :-/

Wow, that technic 8297 seems nice.

Btw, do the front really is a light?

I'm keeping a keen eye on the new off-road car. It has some interesting new stuff I'm interested in.

First of all, the new PF elements, the lights (Crossing my fingers that these are LEDs!) themselves will probably make another appearance next year on the new trains. The pole reverser/switch I'm clueless on, that will be interesting. And then, and I think this is a first, it looks like the car features a live rear axle.

Because I can't see all the contents on the box, I will wait patiently, altough not outright hopeful, to see if the car is remote control - I've converted the red supercar (Mk. II) to remote PF-control, and there's quite a bit of bugs to work out to make it work flawlessly, so I doubt this one has it.

The motor drives the winch, you can see the low resistance gear up in front by the winch. These gears turn upon themselves with too much force to stop them from stripping, and are only used with motors, so my bet is it drives the winch.

I miss the gearboxes - I have the red supercar and the green 4x4 offroader, packed with lovely features and really can learn alot from them - these motors just seem to be cheesy gimics, rather than true functions.

Meh. I miss the real supercars.

My Comments,

4WD Car - Nice to see some more components for the power functions range, light, pole reverser switch and if I'm not mistaken it looks like a new style of motor?

I guess last year we had the medium motor and the XL motor so maybe we get a large motor? It does seem a bit of a letdown that they have not included a remote control when you see how cheap they are selling them for on Shop at Home!

Telehandler, looks good, lots of functions. Only disappointment seems to be the last minute thought of how to tilt the forks, just the same mechanism as used on the last telehandler a couple of years ago which from memory everyone did not like.

Excavator - You can never have enough of these :-)

Edited by paul_delahaye

I like the excavator!

I'm curious to see how that new pneumatics-replacement system works, but I guess we'll just have to wait until this line hits the stores...

Woot! 700th post!!

Anyways, finnally, some pics of the fall lineup!

Excavator:

Fantastic! *sweet* I love the fact thats its red instead of standard yellow. Nice change. I've very curious though to see how these new acctuators work. nice to see the new tracks being used so widely. Defenatly a must have set.

Telahandler:

Another great looking set. After the smaller one we got last year, a larger one was jut a logical choice. But i have to say, like some have pointed out already, i'm a bit disapointed with the tilting mechanism of the fork. I could see using that same method in the smaller set, but it seems to me that there could have been a better solution for a larger set. Oh well, these are just plim. pics, so we'll see.

Off Roader:

Hmm.... :-/ At first glance i'm not all that impressed, but after looking at the box, there seems to be alot of functions. Suspention, power functions, and new lights! Hopfully it will be a true 4x4 with a differential in the front axle.

I do wish that it had a gear box. man i miss those. I was out of my lego elemant when those beauties hit the shelfs. And try to find one boxed up? You'll be spending in the neighborhood of 4, to $500 :-/

Over all, its looking to be a good year for techinc. Can't wait to see some better pics.

Edited by 5150 Lego

Finally some pics *sweet*

I like the look of the excavator I am excited about the Linear Actuators which will offer much better control of such vechicles no more crane arms crashing back to the ground as the air leaks out.

The telehandler also looks good there seems to be some flexible link to the front stablizer feet.

The off roader is a big disapointment firstly lots of Panels >:-( and it looks like the is no remote control although the end of the box is missing in the picture. It seems a bit overkill to have power functions just to operate a winch. The pole switch is a great addition and the lights a a great touch I guess they have been developed for the new trains.

Overall some great sets to look forward to but I am surprised there is no remote controll set in this years lineup :-( anyway we do get a poster in each set to make up for it :-D

2008 ON

8294 : Looks nice, but smallish.

8295 : Like a alternative build of 8416.

8297 : That just has quite low functionality for a Technic model, more Ferrari/Racers/Creator feeling on this one. Alas heavy use of Technic parts.

I have a feeling that there are more releases coming and these are available on feb/march.

Mig

8294 : Looks nice, but smallish.

8295 : Like a alternative build of 8416.

8297 : That just has quite low functionality for a Technic model, more Ferrari/Racers/Creator feeling on this one. Alas heavy use of Technic parts.

I have a feeling that there are more releases coming and these are available on feb/march.

Mig

Also agree that 8294, could be a larger and more functional model.

Should PF enabled, and could at least change position with 8295 for the 2008 TECHNIC sets range :-).

Edited by Conchas

Also agree that 8294, could be a larger and more functional model.

Should PF enabled, and could at least change position with 8295 for the 2008 TECHNIC sets range :-).

I can't believe they release something close to a supercar when it's not a supercar at all...

How hard would it be to add 4WD and a gearbox...?

And it's stupid to use an XL motor for lowering suspension and operating a winch...

You think the reason why they don't make a supercar is because of the Ferrari license???