Sign in to follow this  
Henning Birkeland

F18 Hornet

Nice *wub*! Really well done *y*.

I would change the color of the twin exhaust from light bluish grey to black though: 3943b.gif

Fly On

copmike

F18-front.gif

I saw the titel, and thought ''Ooh, interesting :-) ''

Then... I saw the pictures and thought ''holy crap 8-

That is a very nice looking plane... but I think it needs some more work to be a convincing F/A-18. For example;

• Hornets have a really distinctive back hump and yours looks too low to me
  • The tails seem a bit short
  • The nose profile looks too flat
  • The LERX seems too thin... but that could just be because of the photo angle
  • What is the projection on the back for? There is a IFF antenna there on most Hornets; is that what is is supposed to be? Personally I would recomend something thinner.

Please don't get me wrong though; I still think it is great work. *sweet* Do you have any more photos? I couldn't find any others on BrickShelf. I was curious if the landing gear retracted but I couldn't find any pictures of the bottom.

I do love fighter aircraft, they are one unique type of MOC subject in the way that they are very difficult to portray in brick at minifigure scale due to all the flowing curves at many different angles but surprisingly a bit easier to portray at micro scale. Building these at this dimension is quite an impressive feat! *y*

The construction on the nose section is very well conceived, however I believe the length is a little too long compared to the rest of the body making the tail section seem a bit short as Mr. Sinner pointed out. The LEX strakes look fine to me, the second curve being conveniently realistic. I have one building tip here and two question for you; I think you should insert light grey technic pins into both square holes at the base of the inverted slopes at the very front of the twin tail fins and fit a 1x1 bley 'cheese' slope over them. Also, I am wondering if the yellow tip nose cone was used in intentionally and if the cockpit is able to fit either one or two minifigures.

Thanks for all the comments. The model isn't perfect and there's a lot I could have done differently. But I'm a little short on grey bricks so I had to do some modifications. :)

I have seen a lot of pictures of the F18 with ligth-yellow tip and liked how it gave it some color - the tip was orginal grey.

There are two brown City seats in the cockpit for the moment.

Sorry but the landing gear dosen't retract, but it's ofcourse something I'd like to add.

Here is a picture comparing it with some blueprints. Maybe I'll do some changes when I get more grey bricks and then I'll take your comments into considerations.

f18hornet4.jpg

good job!

I don't know much about military aircraft but I find thate very well done. It's got a nice Creator feel to it, too.

Thanks for all the comments. The model isn't perfect and there's a lot I could have done differently. But I'm a little short on grey bricks so I had to do some modifications. :)

The hornet does have an odd shape to it making it hard to do accurately without using a lot of grey pieces. To be honest I thought you were one of those people with 50 billion pieces.... :-$

Your picture of the Hornet profile gives me flashbacks; I used to make planes that way too about 20 years ago, but in those days I didn't care about colours. My grey stocks are getting better and I plan to give a realistic plane a shot myself! :-P

Thanks for answering my questions. *sweet*