Sign in to follow this  
Brainbox

Micro Transformers

indexed.gif

I actually first made these years ago, then broke them up. Since then, I've built/rebuilt different characters at different times, all sticking to the original design idea.

Now that I'm a BS user, I felt it was time to redo them, so without further ado I present Optimus Prime, Megatron and Starscream, perhaps the three most well-known TFs.

Try and judge them on what they are, not what they aren't. They are micro-scale, so as such aren't incredibly detailed. But thay are recogniseable.

The body design is nice and simple, and looks both stubby and interesting at the same time. It allows room for 'customisation' of characters as well. The transformations are very much 'Lego-formers' style, with some pieces often being left over in one or both modes.

Optimus Prime

As leader of the Autobots and the quintessential Transformer, Prime was really the only logical choice for the first character to be built. Plus, he was one of the ones I first worked out all those years ago. Now, the robot isn't perhaps particularly interesting, and frankly nither is the vehicle, but it's clearly Prime.

img_2571a.jpg

img_2562a.jpg

The trailer is articulated, giving the illusion of 'cornering.' All the pieces end up being used somewhere, but not necessarily where they came from.

img_2578a.jpg

img_2579a.jpg

The inside of the trailer houses pieces for use on either the trailer base or the main Prime robot. The red 1x1s with 'extras' are added to Prime, and the 2x2 studdless plate from the roof of the cab and trailer joint from Prime are added to the trailer.

img_2584a.jpg

img_2590a.jpg

I decided to use a chrome piece for Prime's faceplate, but I don't really know why. It was sort of lying round and I thought it looked good.

Megatron

The next obvious choice was Megatron, Decepticon leader. Again, this is an old design.

img_2598a.jpg

img_2602a.jpg

And, of course, Megatron transforms into his gun mode. There're a lot of pieces left here so...

img_2605a.jpg

... I built a (slightly rubbish) stand/turret.

img_2607a.jpg

img_2611a.jpg

Starscream

This one is a new design. I took a departure from the regular body design in order to accentuate the thinner, streamlined bdoy of the Seekers. It's also my favourite ;-) .

img_2612a.jpg

img_2613a.jpg

Back view

Close up of arm

Full piece-count

img_2631a.jpg

img_2625a.jpg

img_2632a.jpg

Can you see why it's my favourite?

Character comparison

Comparison with a mini-fig (thanks Brainbox ;-) ):

img_2620a.jpg

More TFs will follow. Last time I made these, I made a Bruticus, and actually made some slightly rubbish instructions. But i can follow them. Or at least I could if I could find them. So, Bruticus may be along, if I can find them.

Comments, questions and constructive criticisms welcome. :-)

Full Gallery

Edited by imperialshadows

Neat and lovely.... especially your Starscream.... *wub*

He he, I scream for Starscream, ahem.... that

Thanks. I might see if I can get round to making Skywarp and Thundercracker as well (using the same design), and have a group of Seekers. And maybe Sunstorm too.

Woah, great stuff here BB. I love how you've conveyed the look of each TF with such limited ability for detail! I can't wait to see more of these - Bumblebee, Ironhide, Jazz and Grimlock next!

Thanks!

I can't wait to see more of these - Bumblebee, Ironhide, Jazz and Grimlock next!

It's funny you should mention those. Grimlock, Bumblebee and Ironhide were a few of the ones I made last time. Grimlock is probably on the to-do list, I'm working on modifying my original Ratchet and Ironhide designs to represent the new IDW versions. And Jazz, well, sure why not.

This is lovely work. *wub* I love to see how small you can build stuff! My favourites are Starscream and Megatron, but I feel somehow that Prime could do with some more wheels, if that's possible.

Awesome work Brainbox, can you post some screenshots of the bricks you used, as i would love to make that starscream and have him sitting by my computer many thanks, and please make some more transformers G1's.