Here is my newest MOC - it is based on a Formula Society of Automotive Engineers (FSAE) car that I am helping build at my University. FSAE is a global student engineering competition with events held in Germany, Italy, USA, Great Britain and several other countries. The car is not designed for high speeds - it is extremely maneuverable however. Our car uses a 600 cc engine, steel space frame, pull rod front suspension and push rod rear.

isometric_view_800x452.jpg

iso_view_cad.png

The CAD model of the car is shown above (I made it red so you could see it better). I scaled it according to the diameters of the tires - which ended up being about 2 inches = 1 stud.

rear_800x452.jpg

This car has a pull rod front suspension and push rod rear.

cams__cam_shaft_800x452.jpg

It has a 2 speed transmission integral to the engine which features an overhead camshaft and 8 valves. I tried to keep it scale to the car - the real one uses a Yamaha R6 engine which has dual overhead cams and 16 valves, but two cams were not possible. I have always been a bit dissatisfied with LEGO engines - they are usually only the block, pistons, tie rods, and crankshaft - which is like half of an engine. The cams work OK - but I would not push this around for a long time with the engine in gear since it is not the smoothest thing ever. I am using rubber bands for the valve springs.

I have included an air intake, radiator, a 4-2-1 exhaust header (four pipes from the engine reducing to 2 reducing to 1 to the muffler), and a muffler. The differential is chain driven just like the real car. There is a shift lever in the cockpit.

bottom_452x800.jpg

The whole chassis is surprisingly stiff and altogether this model worked out pretty well. This uses parts from 8110 and 42000 (there could be some other sets there too). I have more images on my Brickshelf http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=551976

I too am on the FSAE team for my school. Its great to see a replica of the real life car. A little off topic, but what is your role in the designing of the car?

tim

I am glad you liked it. I am the Chief Engineer this year so I am overseeing and guiding the technical direction of the car.